A minimally invasive alternative to Gum Surgery!
Laser Gum Treatment – Laser Periodontal Therapy (LANAP) in El Cajon, CA
LANAP (Laser-Assisted New Attachment Procedure) is an FDA approved safe and effective method of treating gum disease. The LANAP procedure utilizes a soft tissue laser to gently remove diseased gum tissue without harming healthy gum tissue. Healing time with LANAP is also much quicker than non-laser methods of treating gum disease.
LANAP takes two 2-hour visits, or a longer session where sedation may be suggested; and two follow up visits, whereas scalpel surgery requires four sessions of about an hour apiece, plus more visits for suture removal and additional check-ups. Rather than weeks, recovery time with LANAP is very fast, and most patients may only need to use an over-the-counter pain reliever for any discomfort for one or two days.
Benefits of Laser Periodontal Therapy
- No cutting, packing or suturing
- There’s much less discomfort during and after the procedure
- It takes less time than traditional surgery
- It gives better, longer-lasting results
- Most patients feel good enough to eat right after the procedure
- Less than 24-hour recovery period
- Safe for patients with health concerns such as diabetes, HIV, hemophilia, or those taking medications such as Plavix or aspirin.
LANAP—Laser Periodontal Therapy Illustration
A. Deep gum pockets indicate gum disease
B. Laser light removes bacteria and diseased tissue
C . Ultrasonic scaler and special hand instruments are used to remove root surface tarter
D. Laser finishes cleaning pocket and aids in sealing the pocket closed so new germs can’t enter
E. Healing of gums to clean root surface occurs
F. Bite trauma is adjusted
G. Healing occurs